Forge Lane, Halton, Lancaster, Lancashire UK LA2 6RH
The Halton Senior Co-housing Project is 3 miles north of Lancaster on the River Lune. Co-housing is a creative response to Ageing. Each household is personal and private but residents come together to manage their community and share activities. It is an opportunity to step back in time when everyone knew their neighbours and had the support of the local village. But we will be modern in the sense that our Passiv Haus construction is an environmentally friendly way to keep warm and dry without costing the earth.
We are looking for people interested in this lifestyle, 55 and over. Contact us at:- firstname.lastname@example.org
A little history about the Halton area
There are vestiges of a Roman Camp nearby. A Roman altar and coins of Canute were found there.
Before the Norman conquest, it was an important Anglo Saxon manor held by Earl Tostig, the brother of King Harold. The Domesday Book mentions Actun (the parish seems to be Halton with Aughton) meaning place where oak trees grow. There are signs of a Norman motte and bailey castle from the late 11th century.
The parish church of St. Wilfrids is mostly Victorian with a 16th century tower. However there was a church on the site going back to 1190. There is a Viking Cross dating to the 10-11th century with both Christian and Viking symbols on it. The Viking symbols depict Sigurd fighting the dragon Fafnir. This cross had the top knocked off (has since been rebuilt) and was once used as a sundial. Inside the church are stained glass windows depicting Joan of Arc and St. George. There are 3 bells (pre-Reformation) with inscriptions relating to Petre, Johannes, and Respice finem Maria. St. Wilfred’s Well is nearby.
In 1755 the Halton Furnace Company was smelting Pig Iron. There were also 2 cotton mills and of course “The Mill” became Luneside Engineering after WWII, with its famous herd of mechanical elephants. Every summer these elephants headed out to seaside resorts entertaining countless children with rides for sixpence. They would return to The Mill for winter R&R (maintenance).
The “little” NW Railway had a station at Halton from 1849 until 1966. The cycle path on the other side of the river runs past where it was.
(with thanks to Wikipedia and the Visit Lancashire website.)